National Cereal Day – 7th March
Here are a few facts to whet your appetite on National Cereal Day.
1. On average every UK household has five packs of breakfast cereal in their cupboards.
2. Swiss doctor Maximilian Bircher-Benner developed muesli in the early 1900’s. It was for patients in hospital as part of a healthy and fibrous meal rich in oats, fresh and dried fruits, seeds and nuts.
3. In the UK we eat on average approximately 6.7kg of cereal per person per year.
4. The word ‘cereal’ originates from 'Ceres', the name of the Roman goddess of harvest and agriculture.
5. An amazing 72% of all breakfasts in the UK feature ready–to–eat cereals.
Don’t forget your cereal on National Cereal Day!